Have a spooky-safe Halloween! The following tips will help keep your home, family and trick or treater’s safe.
- Candles are the number one cause of Halloween decoration fires. Use battery-operated candles or glow sticks instead of open flame candles.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe pater catch fire easily. Keep decorations away from open flame and heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
- Remeber to keep exits clear of decorations and not block escape routes.
- Make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working.
- When choosing costumes, stay away from long trailing fabric that can catch fire if they come into contact with open flames or heat sources.
- Make sure costumes that have mask or face pieces have eyeholes large enough to see out of. Watch out for danger from cars or falling into holes or ditches.
- Provide all children with flashlights or glow sticks so they are avisible at night while going from house to house.
- When driving Halloween night, use extra caution. Slow down and watch for children running into the road without warning.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!