BAY ST. LOUIS, Miss. (GULF COAST WEEKEND) - The 100 Men Hall hosts its third annual Booker Fest to celebrate the musical genius of James Booker.
Born in New Orleans in 1939, but raised by his aunt in Bay St. Louis, James Carroll Booker III was a keyboardist whose unique style combined rhythm and blues with jazz standards. In his 20s, Booker worked with the touring bands of B.B. King and Aretha Franklin. He also played on the historic stage of 100 Men Hall and throughout the Bay.
In 1970, mysterious trouble led Booker to lose his left eye; afterwards he began to don an iconic eye patch. Musician Dr. John described Booker as “the best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced.”
Booker Fest starts Friday, September 2nd at 7PM and ends on Sunday, September 4th. Below is the full schedule of events. Tickets can be purchased online at https://the100menhall.com/products/booker-fest-2022
Booker Fest Schedule
Friday, Sep 2nd
- 7-9 p.m. Joe Krown Trio
Saturday, Sep 3rd
- 11 a.m. - Noon St. Rose Gospel on 100 Men Hall’s historic stage
- 12:30 - 2 p.m. Booker piano tribute performed by New Orleans piano greats Josh Paxton and Joe Ashlar
- 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Spoken Word - Sunni Patterson
- 4 - 6 p.m. Quiana Lynell and Trio
- 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. Rita Brent Comedy
Sunday, Sep 4th
- 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. Booker Drag Brunch with Catastrophe, Zamareyah, Latonia & Misty
Copyright 2022 WLOX. All rights reserved.